Beginning Strings starts in the 5th Grade at all of our nine elementary schools in District Six! To sign up online fill out this form tinyurl.com/D6instruments or you can print the form tinyurl.com/formD6instruments and turn it into your student's elementary school. Our Information Letter, Band and Strings Information Letter, will give you tons of valuable information about starting instrumental music in D6!
Questions? Email Arlyn Mills, Spartanburg District Six Orchestra Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Parents: Listen to some parent interviews in this Parent Video
Students: Listen to these instrument demonstrations in order to figure out what instrument you want to play!
- Strings will meet twice each week during the school day.
- All safety protocols will be followed in order to ensure that your student is safe and healthy when beginning 5th grade Band or Strings.
- In class students will learn the fundamentals of playing an instrument, how to hold and care for the instrument, how to pluck and bow the strings, and how to read music.
- In Strings, students will learn self-discipline, how to problem solve, build self-esteem, and learn what it means to be part of a team. These valuable skills can be applied to all aspects of life.
- Free lessons are available after school to all the 5th grade students at Dorman with our SSWAT (String Students With Advanced Teens) Program. SSWAT is an opportunity for high school symphony students to give back to their school by encouraging and motivating beginning students with a free private lesson. The beginners work individually or in small groups with a symphony member. During second semester the small group lessons combine into an orchestra, and the students present a concert at the end of March.
- Summer camp opportunities are also available for rising sixth graders. Contact your orchestra teacher for more information or to sign up. .
Check out our Middle School Orchestra Program Page in order to see what your child has in store!!!!