Art and Music Visions
Spartanburg School District Six provides an artistically and musically gifted and talented program, entitled Visions. The following is a list of qualities artistically and musically gifted children often display. Definition: The gifted are those children whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so outstanding that they require special provisions to meet their educational needs. District Six provides instruction for students identified as gifted and talented in the arts, in keeping with South Carolina State Regulation 43-220.
Students gifted in the arts usually share one or more of these traits:
- High quality of work and task commitment to one of the arts
- Arts involvement and interest either in class or on their own
- Willingness to explore arts’ problems
- Flexible thinking; uses many approaches to solving a problem
- Creative potential
- Goes beyond the obvious, sees unusual relationships
- Thinks of doing projects in their spare time
- Examines and observes things very thoroughly
- Likes to elaborate on an idea and add details
- Takes work seriously and completes it
- High energy level
Spartanburg School District Six will accept nominations for the Visions Artistically and Musically Gifted and Talented Program during the weeks of Oct. 18 – Nov. 5 . Forms will be available online Oct. 18 - parents may also fill out a form in the school office.
Once a nomination form is completed and submitted, you will receive a confirmation email with follow-up instructions by November 30. Students will participate in a screening process in January using a test based on the arts rubrics (in Appendix M and O) outlined in the South Carolina Identification of Artistically Gifted and Talented Students: Referral, Screening and Assessment. Please click on the state department link for detailed rubrics and screening process details: https://ed.sc.gov/scdoe/assets/File/instruction/standards/Advanced%20Programs/2018_GT_BPM_Identification_Revised_January_2019.pdf